Language skills/ tests

For admission to a foreign university, proof of language skills must usually be provided at the time of application.

What is the language of instruction at the partner university?

  • Usually English, but in Roman-speaking countries sometimes request also or exclusively the national language.
    Please inform yourself in advance!

What language level do I already need to have when applying?

  •  English at least level B1 (better: B2)
  • Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese at least A1/A2
    (two levels below admission level)
  • Russian,  Japanese at least A1 (or course registration proof)

Which language certificates are accepted at WiSo?

  • course certificate from a successfully passed FAU language course (max. 2 years old)
  • Language test for English, French, Spanish (free of charge, computer-based)
    => Dates/registration at
  • Mobility test (=DAAD language test), 15€, individual with language tutor
    => Dates/ registration at
  • Confirmation of equivalence for language certificates such as TOEFL, IELTS, CPE, DELE, etc. or foreign qualifications
    => Information at

Language skills from the German Abitur certificate do not automatically apply