Final Registration

Finally, Non-EU-Citizens have to go back to the Ausländerbehörde, in order to complete the registration for getting the residence permit.

EU-Citizens only have to register on the ground floor; there is no residence permit anymore since January 2005.

Ausländerbehörde (R. 304)
Äußere Laufer Gasse 25
90403 Nürnberg
phone: +49 (0)911 / 231-14376 or 14377, Fax: – 7390
open: Mon. – Fri. 8.30 – 12.30
Mon., Tue., Thu., in the afternoon by telephone


Stempel_fcmThe Ausländerbehörde (foreigners’ registration office), which is in the same building, has a counter set up especially for foreign students on the third  floor, Room 304. The responsible staff are familiar with your concerns. Fill out the form called Antrag auf Aufenthaltsbewilligung, which may be obtained in German or English.

Be sure to apply for a 12 months’ stay, even if you’re leaving earlier. An administrative fee of 15 – 60 EUR depending on the status of the student will be charged. Non-EU-Citizens must pay a fee of €80.00 -110. Please ask there for details.

The following documents are required:

  1. Application form for residence permit. It is available at the Foreign National’s Registration Office and must be filled in personally.
  2. Proof of acceptance from the University Erlangen-Nuremberg
  3. Proof of health insurance
  4. Passport
  5. Students from Non-EU- or Non-EFTA- states must have a student visa issued    by the responsible agency abroad in their home countries.
  6. Two passport photographs (applicable only to students from the EU)
  7. Proof of sufficient means of subsistence
  8. €40.00 in cash (fee is only applicable for Non-EU-Citizens)

Now the foreign Affairs office will stamp your passport, therefore entitling you to stay here. YOU’VE MADE IT!
You can also get a Lohnsteuerkarte (income tax card) on the ground floor, which you will need if you are planning to work in Germany.

For this you need a:

  • blocked account
  • health insrucance
  • admission letter
  • passport