Resident Permit

Within ten days after moving into your flat/apartment you must register with the respective Registration Office (Einwohnermeldeamt).

Registration Office of the City of Nuremberg and Foreign National’s Registration Office 
Äußere Laufer Gasse 25 (directly opposite from the WiSo-Faculty)
(Subway linie U2 and U3 Station “Rathenauplatz“; Bus Nr. 36, Stop “Innere Laufer Gasse“)

Phone times: Mon-Tue 8:30 – 15:30 Uhr, Fri 8:30 – 12:30
Appointments: Mon-Fri 8:30 – 12:30

Online registration:


  • Names A – K: Telefon: 0911 / 231 -14376, -14377, -14378
  • Names L – Z: Telefon: 0911 / 231 -14379, -14380, -14381

einwohnermeldeamt-nuernberg2Once there, you have to go to the information point. They’ll give you a number and a sheet for the registration which you have to fill out.Wait until your number appears on the big panel and then proceed to the counter indicated. If there are many people waiting there (everyone who is new in Nürnberg has to go there), catch the number and return later. The paper you filled out you handle out to the person at the counter. You might also bring a good book. Be patient…
You will receive a certificate of registration which is sufficient for enrolment.

Documents required:

  • passport / identity card
  • lease agreement (“Mietvertrag”)

You can obtain an income tax card at the Registration Office which you will definitely need if you want to work or do an internship in Germany. Non-EU-Citizens can apply for a work permit with the Employment Bureau.  

On completion of this process you will receive a registration card which shows your main residence and is a requirement for the next steps.