Work Permission

Many students try to earn some money with a part-time job. If you want to do so, please watch:

Students from EU member states DO NOT need any work permit (see special regulations for the new member states).
Students from non-EU member states need a work permit if the overall employment exceeds 120 days/ 240 half-days per year. You have to apply for the work permit at the foreigners office (Ausländerbehörde) – since January 2005 the jobcenter (Arbeitsagentur) is no longer responsible for that.

More details about it here


The Arbeitsagentur may assist you in finding a job. There is a special student service which provides a great offer of different part-time jobs:

The Federal Employment Office will also assist you in finding a job:

arbeitsagentur-nbgArbeitsagentur Nürnberg

Studenten „servis“ Jobvermittlung
Richard-Wagner-Platz 5
90327 Nürnberg
phone: +49 (0)911 / 529-2530
fax: +49 (0)911 / 529-2999

The Career Services situated in Lange Gasse can help you in your search for a job.

Sometimes there are job offers displayed in the university buildings as well. The international AIESEC organisation may also help you in finding a job or an internship.

Lokalkomitee Nürnberg
Lange Gasse 20
90403 Nürnberg
Raum 2.233
phone: +49-911-55 11 61
fax: +49-911-55 69 26

There is frequently the possibility to work for the University as a student assistant, for example at the library, in the registry, as a tutor etc. The hourly wage of a student assistant, a so-called “Hiwi”, usually lies at about €8.50. Keep an eye out for offers on the notice boards of the chairs and the Infotheke.

Internship:Please pay attention to the leaflet of the Federal Employment Office for Non-EU- Students working in Germany. The following homepages may aid you in finding an internship: